- ‘But you don’t look sick?’
Please inform me what ‘sick’ looks like. Is it the pale skin, black bags under the eyes, and greasy hair that looks sick? I forgot that a bit of concealer and dry shampoo can cure chronic illnesses. You caught me on a good day. You should see me on a bad one, and then tell me if I look ‘sick’
- ‘Do you just not want to hang out? This is the 3rd time you’ve cancelled’
We can’t help that we have to cancel all the time. We make plans, but on the day, we can’t even face getting out of bed, let alone driving an hour to see you. You don’t understand how difficult it is to not be able to see your friends, and then go on social media, and see them all having fun without you.
- ‘Have you tried going gluten free?’
Okay, I am fully aware that people do have allergies to gluten, but I’m pretty sure that not eating bread is going to cure me.
- ‘Oh I get tired a lot too’
You don’t get it. Yes, you get tired. We get exhausted. Imagine having jet lag, whilst having flu, whilst trying to run a marathon. That is how we feel. Don’t tell us that you get tired too.
- ‘I wish I got to lie in bed all the time. You’re living the dream!’
Good for you. I don’t. I wish I was out and about. I wish I was seeing my friends and going on nights out. I wish I was at work. But I’m not. I’m sat in bed in agony, counting down the seconds until I can take more painkillers.
- ‘You know, my sister had the same condition as you, but she when vegan and it cured her’
Again, good for her. If going vegan cured an incurable chronic illnesses, I’m pretty sure the meat business would go bust. Until there is evidence that going vegan will cure me, I’m going to sit here and eat my Big Mac.
- ‘Do you actually want to get better? It seems like you don’t even try’
You don’t understand. Everyday we try. Everyday we try to keep breathing. Everyday we try to take 1 more step than yesterday. Everyday we keep pushing ourselves to get better, but then sometimes it’s too much and we end up suffering. We all try. None of us want this lifestyle.
- ‘Maybe if you stopped sleeping in the day, you would be able to sleep better at night’
The reason I sleep in the day is because I was up all night in agony. The reason I sleep in the day is because I’m so exhausted from getting up and brushing my teeth. The reason I sleep in the day is so I don’t have to put up with judgemental bitches like you.
- ‘Are you sure you’re ill? It’s impossible to have all of them problems’
I wish I wasn’t. But I am. It apparently is not impossible for one single human to have over 7 chronic illnesses, but guess what? It’s possible and I wish it wasn’t.
- ‘Start going to the gym, and you’ll feel better in no time’
Our gym is brushing out teeth. Our gym is making breakfast. Our gym is getting dressed. Just travelling to the gym itself would be enough to break some people.
- ‘Are you addicted to painkillers or something? All you do is pop pills’
In a roundabout way, yes. I am addicted to painkillers. You know why? Because I’m addicted to feeling like myself. I’m addicted to feeling pain-free. And if that makes me a bad person for wanting to feel normal, sue me. I am not addicted to the side effects, I’m not addicted to having to carry 10 boxes around with me and I’m certainly not addicted to having to take them every 4 hours. I’m addicted to feeling like regular old me.