It’s tempting to reach for the same old clothes you always wear when spring finally arrives. Pretty tea dress? Check! Cardigan in case it gets cold? Check! While it’s nice to have the comfort of a well-loved spring outfit, it can start to feel a bit samey.
With that in mind, here’s how to inject an element of surprise into your spring-time look.
Spring with zing – adding excitement to your seasonal style
- Do transitional differently. Part of the problem is that it’s difficult to predict what the weather will be doing at this time of year. Think outside the box with your layering. Rather than a trusted jumper or cardigan, what about a loose, lightweight blazer or cropped sweater? Even a few scarves can transform your look (while adding a bit of much-needed warmth).
- Mix masculine with feminine. Spring doesn’t mean you have to immediately get girly (but of course, if you want to – go for it). Incorporate something a bit more traditionally masculine into your look; like a pair of hard-wearing Dr Martens with a floaty maxi-dress, or a tailored pair of trousers with a pretty blouse.
- Lip-pop! Want to create immediate impact? Invest in a bold, bright lipstick. A quick slick of ruby-red, burnt orange or deep crimson, and you’ll completely change your look. This season, the catwalks were full of vibrant lip hues; so now isn’t the time to be shy. The Benefit lipstick in February’s Look Incredible subscription box isthe perfect example. Just remember to keep your eye make-up more subtle, or risk looking a bit ‘over-done’.
- Add texture. There was a lot of texture at this season’s fashion shows -in the form of ruching, ruffles, fringing and luxury fabrics. Contrasting textures add immediate interest to an outfit – for example, mixing a velvet dress with a denim jacket, or a delicate linen top with a bold leather skirt.
- Get bronzed. Okay, so the hot weather isn’t quite here yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t fake that sun-kissed look. Bronzer is a great way to pull yourself out of the dreaded post-winter slump, and it’s perfect for adding instant glamour too. It’s important to know your skin tone though, to ensure you select the perfect bronzer.
- Be bright.Don’t shy away from bright colours – they’re definitely in this season! Some designers worked acid shades of neon, others focused on powerful block colouring, with red, orange and forest green being key shades for this spring. If you’re nervous about going full-out with your colour, include just a hint of it. For example, a bright blue hat or a purple belt give a bit of brightness, without going overboard.
- Change your fragrance. Most people tend to wear the same old scent, day in, day out. Go for something that’s completely different to what you would normally wear. For example, if you’re a fan of floral perfumes, choose something that’s spicy or fruity instead. Check out https://copycatfragrances.co.uk/for some useful inspiration on this season’s top designer-inspired scents.