One of the most stressful things that anyone can do is move to a new house. When moving day is in the calendar, the pressure is on to get everything organized in the right time frame. A new home awaits, and you have packing to do and movers to sort, and you don’t have all that long to get it done!
The worst that could happen is that you forget something. You want to make sure that this is going to be a great move, not one that you should be tearing your hair out over. This means planning in advance, taking your time and not panicking over the list of things that you need to do. So, with this in mind, let’s check out six secrets for a smooth move below.
- As soon as you have that moving date, get packing. You need to do more than just close up a few boxes here! You need to declutter and thin down your existing home so that you don’t have that last minute rush of packing. You want to make sure nothing gets damaged as you pack, and you want to ensure that you only bring the things you want – no piles of “stuff”!
- Order your packing suppliers in advance. You want more than one kind of box, you want tape and pens, packing peanuts and newspaper for the fragile items. A wide range of packing supplies can be bought in advance so that your move goes smoothly and you’re not missing anything.
- When you declutter, have a pile of things to sell, to donate and to throw away. And then pack those items into old boxes and bags so that you don’t have to buy more.
- Call around moving companies and start asking about setting a date for the move. Make sure that you ask about storage options, too, as they may be able to keep hold of your large items while you are moving. It’s often easier to use one company for all of it so that you can save money!
- Start with clearing out the storage spaces in the home before anywhere else. These are likely to be the places with the most clutter to start working through. Then from there, move onto the smaller rooms and then the bigger ones. Box as you go to save yourself some time!
- Lastly, pack a box of items you need right away. This’ll include chargers and Wi-Fi routers, mugs for a drink while you unpack, etc.
On moving day, you should have less boxes than you thought, with a much better scope for what you need to keep. You want this to be an easy move and you can start with the right packing and move from there. The earlier you start, the better, and the faster you move, the more you can move in a short space of time. Don’t let your move become a stressful one, it really doesn’t have to be a challenging time in life!
This is a collaborative post, and may contain affiliated links.