If you have decided that 2019 is the year to sell your home, read on for some useful tips that can help you make sure it goes successfully.
Three ways to add value without dropping the asking price
You don’t have to drop your asking price to offer buyers greater value! In fact, this is a very risky tactic to deploy. If you lower your asking price you encourage scrutiny instead of generating attention. Instead, try one of the following and you are assured to bring greater value to your home…
- Update your kitchen – Updating your kitchen is one of the best ways to add extra value to your property. You may need to spend a few thousand pounds, but you will definitely make it back, and more! Don’t spoil your upgrades by going for something too taste-specific. Keep it neutral.
- Add a home office – Working from home is becoming more and more popular nowadays. Most buyers need a space for their computer, their files and such like. A contemporary home office is a worthwhile investment. It will probably end up costing you around ten thousand pounds, but it will help your home to sell quicker and for a greater price.
- New carpets – There is nothing more off-putting than worn and dirty carpets. They put a dampener on your entire home! Instead, you should re-carpet the property. This will cost approximately four grand, but it will be more than worth it.
Should you add a POA to your property?
What is POA? POA, which stands for price on application, is a type of marketing that is used by some homeowners. Essentially, this strategy revolves around keeping the price of your home a secret. Is this a good idea? Definitely not, and let me tell you why…
- Why do it? – You have to ask yourself what you actually have to gain by keeping the price of your home a secret. Why would an agent encourage you to add a POA to your property? Quite simply because he or she hasn’t got a clue what it is worth.
- It’s never really a secret – Ok, so POA, in theory, means keeping your asking price a secret, but the truth is… it won’t actually be a secret at all! It’s impossible to keep things on the hush nowadays with the Internet. For example, if you make a listing on Rightmove you have to put in a price! So, are you really going to pass up on the entire Internet marketing techniques available so you can have a POA?
- It puts people offer – Put yourself in the buyer’s shoes! If you see a house and it doesn’t have an asking price, is that going to make you want to view it or are you going to be put off? Most people will say the latter – it creates a negative feeling.
Hopefully, you now feel more prepared to put your property on the market in 2019!