I hate to even type the words, but yes. I’ve gone gluten free. As much as I’m missing garlic bread and a good ol’ spag bowl, I am finding that it is slightly helping with my stomach issues. I wanted to still be able to make gingerbread, but minus the gluten. Fortunately, I managed to come across Gluten Free Gingerbread Men Recipe , and immediately brought all the ingredients.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 125 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup golden syrup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Icing sugar (optional)
- Sweets and decorations (optional)
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and the brown sugar. Honestly, this was one of the most time consuming parts.
- Add the golden syrup and egg and mix it all together. DON’T panic if it looks like its curdled. Mine did the exact same thing, but mum assured me that this was apparently normal.
- In an another bowl, sift all the dry ingredients, add to the wet ingredients and mix together. When I mixed everything together, I then rolled it all up in a ball. Who knows if this was the right thing to do, but the chefs on TV seem to do it…
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour. Again, I don’t know if this was the right thing to do, but I covered my bowel with cling film. I also had ZERO room in the fridge, so I popped it into the out-house (not as posh as it sounds)!
- Remove dough from refrigerator and place onto a floured surface and knead lightly.
- Roll out to desired thickness and then cut into shapes using cookie cutters.
- Bake in 170 degree celsius oven for approx 15 minutes or till well browned (or burnt in my case).
- Leave to cool on trays for 5 minutes then transfer to cooking racks.
I’m actually pretty impressed with how these turned out!
I will say that if you’ve never had gluten free biscuits before, you may not like how ‘dry’ they are. You could easily pop on some icing (like my mum did), to help with the powdery texture.
Despite the texture, they’re pretty damn tasty, and I’m definitely going to be making some more in the future! Heres to gluten free gingerbread men!